Typhoid Under Control As Matapi Flats Face Demolition

The recent typhoid outbreak which ravaged Mbare last week is now under control with no new cases being recorded in the past few days, City of Harare has said.

City Health Director, Dr Prosper Chonzi told the media on Tuesday that they were “winning the war” against typhoid as there have not been any death cases since the outbreak was reported.

More than 100 people are reported to have undergone screening and treatment of the pandemic last week but the figures have dropped to 60 while three are still at Beatrice Hospital after having been diagnosed with Typhoid.

“We have seen a reduced number of patients coming through our treatment camp at Matapi Hostels and it appears as if we are winning the war.

“Contrary to some media reports, we haven’t had any deaths as yet. Under normal circumstances, we investigate all death that occur in an outbreak situation and carry out post mortems to verify the causes of death so for the time being we do not have any fatalities from the typhoid outbreak,” said Dr Chonzi.

He urged more people to come for screening at centres dotted around the capital.

Dr Chonzi said it was encouraging that people are heeding calls for good personal hygiene and discouraged people from buying fruits and food from street vendors where quality and safety of food is not guaranteed.

Meanwhile, City of Harare says it is finalising details with a local back to bankroll the construction of new Flats in Mbare as the old ones face demolition.

Spokesman for City of Harare, Michael Chideme said the open space close to the existing flats will be used to construct new buildings set to accomodate people from the demolished flats.

“We have identified the land to construct the new flats and it’s the space close to the existing flats. What we are waiting for is the finalisation of our agreement with a local bank then once that is done, we will then start construction.

“Let it be known, however, that no one will be moved out of their place before the completion of construction of the new flats. The arrangement is that, we will complete the construction first, then we move people later,” said Chideme.

This follows calls by Health minister David Parirenyatwa to demolish the Matapi hostels as cited filth and poor services in the area had.

Parirenyatwa said the hostels should be demolished as they were now inhabitable.

%d bloggers like this: