The late former President Robert Mugabe’s nephew Leo Mugabe says there will be two burial events for the late iconic leader who passed on at a Singaporean hospital late last week.
Leo Mugabe who is also the family spokesperson said this while addressing journalists during the body viewing exercise at the Rufaro stadium in Mbare, Harare.
He said despite the government announcing that the former former president will be buried at the National Heroes Acre they, the family still want a private burial, without naming the place and date.
“The family has announced that…no its the government actually which has announced this morning that he will be buried at the National Heroes Acre but the family still stick to the private burial ceremony.
“So on Sunday the government will do its function and we will carry him away and do the family function,” said Leo Mugabe without saying where and when will be the final burial.
“There is still a lot of work that needs to be done and we need to do preparations, we will advice and tell you when will the family do its private burial,” he said.
Mugabe who has divided opinion over his death with some vilifying him for presiding over the decay of the economy and wanton disregard for human rights, seems to be already turning in his coffin as his final resting place still remain a mystery.
Even when the military forced him to step down during the November coup, Mugabe took days to surrender power to the current President Emerson Mnangagwa.