August 1 Killings A Huge Disappointment – EU
The European Union has condemned the the August 1 post-election shootings which killed six people and wounded several others in Harare, describing it as a dent on the somewhat peaceful electoral process.
In the aftermath of the post election shootings, President Emmerson Mnangagwa appointed a seven members commission chaired by former South African President, Kgalema Motlanthe to look into the issue.
The commission has since submitted its report to Mnangagwa after conducting public hearings around the country.
EU Ambassador to Zimbabwe, Timo Olkkonen said the post-poll violence overshadowed an election process which was predominantly peaceful.
“The August 1st event and the killing of innocent people was obviously a disappointment after an electoral process that had been very peaceful and very positive aspects compared to previous elections,” said Olkkonen.
He, however, lauded the setting up of the Commission of Inquiry.
“The move of instituting a commission of inquiry to find out the real reasons why this was allowed to happen, who the perpetrators are, was a positive step. Having the international involvement was also to enforce the independence of the commission.
“So like everyone, we are obviously waiting for the report and to see what the findings are and we expect that positive steps would be taken depending on the outcome of the findings,” Olkkonen noted.
Several key players who are believed to have played a role in the killings appeared before the commission.
The MDC leader, Nelson Chamisa, Army General, Valerio Sibanda, Police Commissioner General, Godwin Matanga and other key political figures all appeared before the Motlanthe Commission to make their submissions.
The contents of the report have, however, remained a secret to the public with Mnangagwa empowered by the law either to share it or not.
According to Presidential spokesperson, George Charamba, those found to have perpetrated the August 1 violence, through the commission findings will be arrested.